4 Reasons You Need Self Care during the Holidays & Some Ideas to Inspire You.
We all know that this time of year is for family, giving, and way too much food, but you cannot give and give without refilling your own tank. Yes, we also receive a lot during the holidays, but with everything going on we can always use a little ‘me time.’ We have all heard the saying, ‘you can’t pour out of an empty cup’ so what can you do to help fill your cup? So here are 4 reasons you need to make time for self-care during the holidays and some ideas for self-care.
4 Reasons You Need Self Care During the Holidays
The holidays are overwhelming. There is so much to accomplish in such a short period of time. There are times that you just need to look at what is working and what you need to change. During the hectic schedules, you still need to work on self-care. In fact, self-care during the holidays is more important than ever.
The top 4 reasons
- No matter how much you love them, being around the family can be exhausting. Everyone’s schedules are messed up, especially if you have babies or toddlers who need a set schedule, and we tend to get more cranky this time of year. Having holiday parties, and family get-togethers always mess with kids’ schedules. Little miss always gets so thrown off her bedtime, which is usually at 7, at family parties because we never seem to be able to leave until well past her bedtime.
- Stress is everywhere. Is there any hiding from it? Between finding gifts, fighting crowds, spending too much money, and fitting in all the family things, stress abounds. Family comes in days ahead of time or stays after the holiday which is both wonderful and still throws off our routines. When you’re a household that runs on routine, it can make the stress worse.
- When the schedule gets busy it’s easy to put yourself last. There is so much going on during the holidays, and as moms, we notoriously will give and give and give without thinking of our own needs. Inevitably you cut out the easiest things, which includes cutting out self-care. You need to keep the focus on making sure your needs are met while you are busy focusing on everyone else. It might be a season of giving, but that should also mean giving to yourself.
- So many of us give so much to everyone around us that we deserve some time taking care of ourselves. We make gifts, cookie trays, volunteer, and just do so much this time of year, and with all of that, we are deserving of some time to relax. You can only give to others so much after you’ve fully given everything you can, what will you be left with? Now, if your love language is gift-giving, then that aspect might actually fill you up, where other things drag you down. Make it work for yourself. Don’t allow yourself to become drained because it is the holidays.
Bonus reason: We need to take time to reflect on the year that has past, all of the memories created and the goals we have reached.
This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase through a link, I will make a small commission at no cost to you. You can read more about affiliate links here.
Ways for you to get in some self-care during the holidays this year
- Put down the phone, chore, or gift buying for a day and enjoy being around family. This time can be so fleeting. Enjoy the time with your grandparents, aunts, uncles, and the rest of the family. They might make you crazy, but this time is not guaranteed.
- Go for a drive and look at Christmas lights, visit a Santa house, enjoy a Christmas parade. Whatever goes on in your town, go enjoy it. Don’t think about what you need to do, just take it all in. Enjoy what makes the holiday season so great.
- Give yourself a peppermint foot soak. Get a tub of water and add in some Epsom salts and peppermint oil. You could even add some coconut oil or use a foot bath like this one. You could also make yourself some peppermint scrub to use in the bath or shower.
- Buy yourself something small that you love, but know nobody will buy for you. Let’s face it, the deals this time of year can be hard to pass up, and I am so guilty of buying for myself when the deal is great. I like to use this time to stock up on face masks and bath bombs. Perfect for quick gifts I might need to grab, and getting the multi-packs work great for keeping my self-care stash all stocked up.
- Go to sleep early. It can be so tempting to stay up super late and get everything done but recharging yourself by getting enough sleep can do wonders for your productivity. Plus, it’s dark so early that we might as well sleep while we can.
- Enjoy a nice hot mug of cocoa or coffee while watching the fire, or your favorite Christmas movie (anyone else obsessed with watching Hallmark channel right now?). Enjoy the holiday movies, watch too many Hallmark Christmas Movies, do whatever traditions you might enjoy.
- Be intentional and present in your interactions with family & in public. It’s so easy to get tunnel vision and only pay attention to the things we are after, but being intentional in our interactions makes things so much easier and happier. Focus on the things you are doing that moment, not the things on your list. Do what you need to do, and be intentional with your time.