4 Reasons You Need Self Care during the Holidays & Some Ideas to Inspire You.
We all know that this time of year is for family, giving, and way too much food, but you cannot give and give without refilling your own tank. Yes, we also receive a lot during the holidays, but with everything going on we can always use a little ‘me time.’ We have all heard the saying, ‘you can’t pour out of an empty cup’ so what can you do to help fill your cup? So here are 4 reasons you need to make time for self care during the holidays and some ideas for self care.
4 Reasons You Need Self Care During the Holidays
- No matter how much you love them, being around the family can be exhausting. Everyone’s schedules are messed up, especially if you have babies or toddlers who need a set schedule, and we tend to get more cranky this time of year. Family comes in days ahead of time, or stays after the holiday which is both wonderful and still throws off our routines.
- Stress is everywhere. Is there any hiding from it? Between finding gifts, fighting crowds, spending too much money and fitting in all the family things, stress abounds.
- When the schedule gets busy it’s easy to put yourself last. There is so much going on during the holidays, and as moms, we notoriously will give and give and give without thinking of our own needs.
- So many of us give so much to everyone around us that we deserve some time taking care of ourselves. We make gifts, cookie trays, volunteer, and just do so much this time of year, and with all of that we are deserving of some time to relax.
Bonus reason: We need to take time to reflect on the year that has past, all of the memories created and goals we have reached.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click a link and decide to purchase, I will make a small commission. This commission is no cost to you and helps to keep this site running.
Ways for you to get in some self care this holiday season
- Put down the phone, chore, or gift buying for a day and enjoy being around family. This time can be so fleeting.
- Go for a drive and look at Christmas lights, visit a Santa house, enjoy a Christmas parade. Whatever goes on in your town, go enjoy it. Don’t think about what you need to do, just take it all in.
- Give yourself a peppermint foot soak. Get a tub of water and add in some Epsom salts and peppermint oil. You could even add some coconut oil or use a foot bath like this one.
- Buy yourself something small that you love, but know nobody will buy for you. Let’s face it, the deals this time of year can be hard to pass up, and I am so guilty of buying for myself when the deal is great.
- Go to sleep early. It can be so tempting to stay up super late and get everything done but recharging yourself by getting enough sleep can do wonders for your productivity. Plus, it’s dark so early that we might as well sleep while we can.
- Enjoy a nice hot mug of cocoa or coffee while watching the fire, or your favorite Christmas movie (anyone else obsessed with watching Hallmark channel right now?).
- Be intentional and present in your interactions with family & in public. It’s so easy to get tunnel vision and only pay attention to the things we are after, but being intentional in our interactions makes things so much easier and happier.
What are you looking forward to this holiday season?